|    724-568-5575

History of Vandergrift
First United Methodist Church

Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.

Our Congregation was organized in 1896 in the new steel mill town of Vandergrift. Vandergrift was a planned community created by the Apollo Iron and Steel Company to house its workforce. The company's initial plans included providing significant locations for the town's churches. The Methodists accepted a beautiful site on the triangular piece of land at the intersection of Custer and Lincoln. The company also provided half of the cost of the Church building which was erected in 1897-98.

The parsonage at 203 Washington Avenue was built in 1902 and remodeled in 1965.

The church quickly gathered an active membership. In 1908 we hosted the annual conference for the Pittsburgh area Methodists. The church has always contributed towards mission work, as well as participated in local outreach work. In 1958-1959 the church was renovated and expanded with an educational addition, during the pastorate of Reverend Dr. Wallace Guy Smeltzer at a cost of $236,000.

Membership as of January 2018: 159